Friday, August 10, 2007

Introducing the Stinson Bloggies

We all like to know where we stand. More importantly, we want to know how other people rate things. So with that thought, I’m introducing the Stinson Bloggies. Periodically, I will go through and rate things using the following (not so scientific) scale:

► Represents a good idea (Play)

►► Represents a great idea, a real innovation (Fast Forward)

◄◄ Represents a bad idea, something that moves things in the wrong direction (Rewind)

First up, I’m rating the top ten Brand Innovator blogs of July. Here goes…

July 6 Tea packaging innovation ►►
July 9 The bank of Wal-Mart ►►
July 10 iPhone marketing ►►
July 11 In flight travel comfort ►
July 12 Dial targeted soap products ►
July 13 Marketing energy drinks to kids ◄◄
July16 Keeping up with technology ◄◄
July 18 Promoting music through videogames ►►
July 26 Wired DIY cover ►►
July 31 Matchbox cars ►►

That’s my take. What do you think? Leave a comment.

1 comment:

Patrick Smith said...

Just a few comments on a couple of them.

July 9 The bank of Wal-Mart ►►
As an idea for retail this is innovative. However, I despise Wal-Mart so much that no matter what they do I'm pretty much against it... especially if it involves them controling even more money. Now that's just my personal take on this situation. If Target did it I probably wouldn't have as much against it. Maybe some banks will learn something here and figure out a way to be more customer friendly... like Wamu has been doing.

July 18 Promoting music through videogames ►►
This is perfect for music. There's so many opportunities like pre-releasing a track on a game before the actual disc/iTunes comes out. Certain leves within a game can unlock music tracks, etc... My head is spinning just thinking about it.

July 26 Wired DIY cover ►►
An association that makes perfect sense. Jones Cola and Pepsi started the trend by inviting cutomers to customize their packaging. I think this is the first time I've seen (this done in a big way) a brand using online tools to allow customers to shape their specific cover/packaging in real time directly. (Except for the Time Magazine cover I have of myself from Great America that I got in 1988).

The potential downside to this innovation is when people start seeing this as a "design tool". I can see people taking "communication matters" into thier own hands.