Sunday, March 11, 2012

Chicago skyline: up close and personal on the architectural boat tour

-->
I’m looking forward to spring and one of my favorite inspirational rituals: the Chicago architectural boat tour.   

Even after 25 years of living in downtown Chicago – and especially now that I’ve been away for a while – I can’t wait to again gaze at the skyline in awe.

Chicago’s architectural boat tours offer a look into the birthplace of modern American architecture and the city’s architectural heritage. The tour takes you up close and personal with the skyscrapers, which give you a new perspective for all of the artistic talent, engineering, and technological marvels involved in creating such massive structures.  If you're in town, look up www.architecture.org/tours

To appreciate the inspiration of the architecture, think beyond the concrete jungle.

As one of my former colleagues, Greg, wrote a while back, “Such as in advertising, I try to imagine that all space is ad space. In multimedia, I venture to think beyond traditional media. In design, I aim to push beyond the boundaries of my imagination. As I kink my neck to stare up at the skyscrapers, I imagine these spaces as more than just office buildings. I think about the artist behind every skyscraper trying to carve out a city and sculpt a structure that extends thousands of feet into the sky.”

He shared these photos from one of his tours.




No comments: