Wednesday, July 10, 2013

How to leave a voicemail: 8 questions to answer


After the beep, make sure you're answering these questions:
  1. WHO ARE YOU?
  2. WHAT DO YOU DO?
  3. WHY ARE YOU CALLING ME?
  4. WHO ELSE DO YOU DO THIS FOR?
  5. WHAT’S THIS ABOUT?
  6. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?
  7. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?
  8. HOW LONG WILL THIS TAKE? 

It might sound like this:


This is ___________.
I run the _____ department at _____.  I’m calling [date, time].

We’ve never met, and I don’t have any connection or credibility with you yet.  However, I’m calling because next week I expect to be meeting with individuals at your level at several other major companies in your business when I’m in town, and I thought it would be smart to see you as well.

We help people in your business to [key benefits 1, 2, and 3].  Our key points of difference are ____ and ____. We may be able to do the same for you, once I understand your needs.

I’m calling to find out who is the most appropriate person to meet with. I’m also putting in calls today to [names of Leverage Points within the listener’s organization] to leave this very same message.

I’d like to schedule a 20 minute meeting with you, or whoever is the appropriate person, regarding [your offer].

We can meet at ____ on the afternoon of _____ or ________.

Most of the customers we deal with involved their CFO’s, vice presidents or ____, and _____s because ______.  Therefore, you may wish to include them as you see fit.

My phone number again is (speak slowly and clearly) and my email is (spell it out clearly).

No comments: